The Hotel Lêger
George Lêger first operated the hotel - originally a wood-framed tent on the corner of Main and Lafayette streets - in 1851. Records show the hotel - then called the Hotel de France - initially catered to a large French population that settled into Moke Hill during the Gold Rush.
The present hotel is actually three separate buildings, one of which served as the Calaveras County Courthouse from 1855 to 1866. That stone building is the only portion of the three-building structure to survived three devastating fires that razed most of the town in 1854, 1865 and 1874. Inside the old courthouse structure, in the basement, was also the county jail.